Sarzana Cathedral:
A white marble Gothic-style church built 1355–1474. It houses two elaborately sculptured altars of the latter period.

Citadel of Sarzana
Former citadel built by Pisans, was demolished and re-erected by Lorenzo de’ Medici.

The Citadel or Fortress Firmafede was the first city fortifications sarzanese, originally built in 1249 by the city walls, with the help of allies Pisani city. In 1324 Castruccio Castracani brought many significant changes to the defensive systems, but later the complex was destroyed by the Florentines, led by Lorenzo de ‘Medici, in 1487 during the “War of Serrezzana”.

The current Citadel was built on the ruins of the previous orders of the same Lorenzo de ‘Medici, who took advantage of the work of the best architects of the time as military Florentine Giuliano da Sangallo, Francesco di Giovanni said Francione and Luke Caprina.

In 1494 the Genoese returned in possession of Sarzana, thanks to the sale of the same by Charles VIII to the Banco di San Giorgio, and completed the work of the citadel. In the last century, the complex was used as a prison, and today is used as a venue for cultural events and exhibitions.

Consists of a main building, regular quadrilateral shape, with an internal central male, is surrounded by an imposing wall of defense, who were hindered by a wide and deep moat. The main access is via a route that passes through a stone bridge leading to the main door, which opens to a courtyard very broad, lateral to the main building.

Castle of Sarzana:
Located on the hill of Sarzanello, at the site of fortress from as early as emperor Otto I. The castle was rebuilt or enlarged by the condottiero Castruccio Castracani, and later became the residence of the bishops of Luni.

Pieve of Sant’Andrea:
10th-11th century parish church, and rebuilt in 1579, and has 16th-century portal. It houses 14th-15th century marble statuary, a Vocation of Saints by Domenico Fiasella, and a dodecagonal baptismal font.

San Francesco:
Tradition holds that St Francis himself founded this church in an oak forest outside of the medieval city walls. It houses the funerary monument (1328) of Castruccio Castracani’s son, by Giovanni di Balduccio; the tomb of bishop Bernabò Malaspina; and a frescoed lunette attributed to Priamo della Quercia.
The church is near a site where St Francis of Assisi met St Dominic. At one time the site was called the German Cemetery (Cimiterio Germanico), because of the mercenary soldiers buried there.
Documents note foundation of a monastery by 1238. The monastery construction began during the 13th-century.
The façade was only partially finished, and only the first story sheathed in marble. The portal has a lunnette with a 17th-century fresco depicting the Virgin and Child with St Francis and St Louis of Toulouse. The facade has relief with St Bernardino da Siena’s Christogram: a sun and letters IHS, here framed by a rope. This recalls the adherence of the local monks to frati Minori Osservanti in 1462. The interiors were refurbished in the 17th-century. Among the altarpieces in the church are an Adoration of the Shepherds (first altar on right) by Domenico Fiasella.
In the right transept is the funeral monument of cardinal Bernabò Malaspina (died 1338). In the chapel in the left of the presbytery is an Assumption of the Virgin (17th-century) attributed to Giulio Bruno. On the transept wall is also the tender funeral monument, sculpted by Giovanni di Balduccio, and dedicated to Guarnerio degli Antelminelli who died as a child, the son of the fierce condottiere Castruccio Castracani. On the door of the sacristy is a fresco by Priamo della Quercia, brother of Jacopo della Quercia; the frescoe depicts a Vir dolorum between St Clair and St Francis.
In the sacristy is a painting depicting the Madonna con Bambino, Bernardino da Siena and San Salvatore da Orta by Domenico Fiasella. On the counterfacade of the church is a large canvas depicting the Adoration of the Magi (1656) by Tommaso Clerici. The cloister was frescoed with episodes in the Life of St Francis (15th-century) by Stefano Lemmi.

Palazzo del Capitano:
Designed by Giuliano da Maiano (1472), but now entirely altered.